Sports are filled with jargon, and skiing is no different. Ski racing jargon is some of the craziest assortment of phrases of any sport. Here are 8 words that mean something totally different if you ski race.
This list could not be possible without the A – Z of Ski Slang Terms from Chalet Babu.
1. Yard Sale – A big fall in which a skier or snowboarder loses their skis, gloves, hat and poles across the piste, thus resembling a yard sale!
3. Chowder – Chopped-up powder.
4. Chocolate Chips – These are the end of season rocks to be found peeking out of the snow and tear up your ski or board base.
5. Death Cookies – Icy chunks of snow that cover the pistes like gravel – yuk!
6. Milk Run – First ski run of the day.
7 & 8. French Fry and Pizza – Metaphors used to teach beginning ski racers how to control speed.